Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Painted armoire


We have a tv armoire that we were tired of the look of the whitewashed wood so I decided to paint it. I chose Bitter Chocolate by Behr paint in an eggshell finish from Home Depot. I used a foam roller recommended for very smooth finishes so it does not give an orange peel look consistent with other types of rollers. It took 3 coats of paint to achieve the depth of color I wanted. I used approximately 1 1/2 quarts of paint for the entire armoire. Next, I applied Valspar Antiquing Glaze in Asphaltum, a blackish colored glaze from Lowes. I applied it with a rag blotting and gently rubbing off the excess glaze. The glaze allows the brown paint to show through somewhat while it tends to settle into corners and molding of the wood giving it an aged look. Then I painted the hardware with silver spray paint using the same black antiquing glaze to knock off the shiny look of the silver paint making the handles look like forged iron.

This is the armoire before in the whitewashed look.


Inside of the armoire after the brown paint.


I applied one coat of the antiquing glaze which gave it the aged look I wanted.




The finished armoire now seems like a new piece of furniture for less than $40!


3 comments:

Risa said...

SOOO super cute! It looks way better than before.

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Wow, that looks so much better!

philben5 said...

Love the color!! Great job and thanks for the inspiration.
Blessings
Roxanne